Patent search is a search of the patent database to regulate if there are any patent application similar or identical to an invention that is to be patented. Patent search can be done to improve the chances of obtaining a patent registration or to find information about new inventions that have patent protection. In this article, we look at the procedure for conducting a patent search in India.
1) Determining the probability of having a patent granted to a proposed invention.
2) Defining the claims to be filed in the patent application.
3) Formatting the freedom to operate.
4) Determining whether a granted patent can be invalidated.
5) Knowing more about similar inventions and status of similar patent filings.