The word Khata refers to two specific documents issued by the BBMP (Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike) to a property owner the Khata Certificate and the Khata Extract. The term literally means an Account.
The most important aspect of the Khata Extract is that it contains the amount of property taxes that must be paid on the property. In addition to that information it also contains various details about the property such as:
1) Size of the property
2) Location of the property
3) Built-up Area of the property
These documents are compulsory in two situations the first is when the property owner wishes to register the property and the second is when the owner wishes to sell the property.
1) Apply for an Electricity Connection to BESCOM
2) Apply for a Water Connection to BWSSB
3) Apply for a loan from a bank and use the property as collateral for the loan
4) Apply for a license of any sort from the government